[SOLVED] HestiaPi Touch United States Wiring

This is the question I have, how do I hook up the power to it? Is it a 110 connection or an RPI plug in adapter? I cannot go any further till I figure out this partā€¦

you only need the 2 wires from mains (L and N), no plug. Strip them and connect them to the terminal block on the HestiaPi main board with the markings L and N. It sits just below the Raspberryā€™s mini-HDMI port.

Ok. Well Iā€™m going to use a plug because I have an outlet located 2 feet where the current thermostat is now. so whether I use a plug or regular wire 110 is 110 :wink:

Ok firstā€¦ Sorry this taking so longā€¦

I wired the thermostat to power and itā€™s been sitting like this for a very long timeā€¦

My system only uses
Red C ā€“ The RC terminal is designated for the power for cooling. Some HVAC systems use two transformers. A transformer for cooling and a transformer for heating. In this case, the power from the transformer in the air conditioning system would go to the thermostat terminal. It should be noted that a jumper can be installed between RC and RH for a heating and cooling system equipped with a single transformer.

Red H ā€“ The RH terminal is designated for the power for heating. See RC above for an explanation. It should be noted that a jumper can be installed between RC and RH. This is only for heating and cooling systems equipped with a single transformer.

White ā€“ This is the terminal for heating. This wire should go directly to the heating source whether it be a gas or oil furnace, electric furnace, or boiler or auxiliary heating for a heat pump.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s missing the green wire but mine may be an older system and the furnace control board ā€˜callsā€™ the fan to work at temp when itā€™s needed.

Not sure why itā€™s setup like that but at any rateā€¦

I tested both and they turn the system on no problems.

So whatā€™s next? :slight_smile: and just how long does it take to boot this up?

OK it wouldnā€™t boot up. So I downloaded a fresh img and put it on a new SD card and it boots and says starting in x seconds then after that it is just a blank screen. So whatā€™s wrong?

The HTML Loader (the screen you describe) has been problematic in a very non-deterministic way. The tests we did showed that it would suffice but reality showed different :frowning:
Here is a little background:

Could you try a reboot if you havenā€™t done it yet. Tell me how it goes. A more permanent solution is indeed overdueā€¦

I had to put a new image on a new sd card but itā€™s still not loading wellā€¦ itā€™s been on loading for over an hour nowā€¦

When I had it running once the buttons didnā€™t respond well at all :frowning:

It should take ~7 minutes on the first boot.
I made an updated loading script here:

could you update your:

/home/pi/scripts/openhabloader.sh

?
The performance you mention is something weird Chromium is causing. If you use your laptop browser or your smartphone, you will see that the RaspberryPi Zero does not lack what is needed. I can confirm from either laptopā€™s browser of smartphone app, the response (hearing the relay click) is less than a second.

I havenā€™t been able to even get into itā€¦Iā€™m rewriting the image as itā€™s not doing anythingā€¦

Sorry to say but something is wrong with this unit. After replacing the sd card and a new image twice it still only made it to the screen one time. So now what do I do? I know enough to know thereā€™s something wrong with this oneā€¦

All I have is a blank screen and touching it gives NO responseā€¦ nothing happens.

You mean you donā€™t see the boot messages?
Is the screen white from the moment you power it up? It should start showing the boot sequence after 5-6 seconds from the moment you power it up.
Make sure the pin headers are aligned correctly starting from its left side (PIN1) and are fully pressed.
Does the LED on the WiFi blink?
Does the LED on the Raspi blink?

OK so formatted the original SD card and copied the img to that and after letting it run all night it finally shows the screen :slight_smile:

The WiFi is blinking
the Raspi is blinking

Where can I find the IP so I can ssh into it? The controls are kinda strange they are not responsive at all. SLOW is more like it LOL

I thought it would show up on my router but it doesnā€™t so getting into it has been an adventure that I cannot seem to figure outā€¦

Have you entered SSID and password in

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Is your SSID configured hidden? We have seen issues with hidden SSIDs.
Is the signal strong?
The IP is actually shown on the loader page below the countdown. Restart to see it. If it says ā€œUnavailableā€ it means that it cannot connect for one of the above reasons.

I wish I could but like I said I canā€™t get into itā€¦As for example right nowā€¦ the screen is blank so touching it should wake it upā€¦ itā€™s not. It just sits there blank. so unless I unplug it and restart it againā€¦ then that corrupts the SD card and I have to start all over againā€¦ Iā€™m really needing some worthwhile instructions hereā€¦ this just isnā€™t working.

IF I manage to even get it running how am I supposed to add SSID and such???

Have you used this guide for the WiFi?
Apologies for being too complicated but it was described in the shop page too as it is only an early release for people who want to try it.
About restarting it. Unpluging from powe has rarely caused an SD corruption. Make sure you only use the provided SD card and image as it is optimised for this purpose. Personally I never

sudo reboot

or

sudo shutdown -h now

anymore and I havenā€™t experienced corruption cases. Please follow the steps of the guide and let me know if it worked.

1 Like

So in order to hack HestiaPi Touch to work with your 24V AC system, you need to modify the PCB in the following way.
Flip the PCB and work on the bottom side. It should look like this (left side):

Cut the track (thin red line below) between the 2 pads. Make sure there is enough space separating the pads at the end.
Solder RC (or R for people who only have 1 R) on the pad indicated with the red arrow:

Use a multimeter at the end to ensure the cut and the modification are secure.

1 Like

Not too complicated but it is being difficult :slight_smile: No need for apologiesā€¦ weā€™ll get it figured outā€¦

I looked all over for that guide and couldnā€™t find it!! THANK YOU!!

I apologize for not getting back but this time of year I am extremely busyā€¦

I am not running a 24V AC system. I use just heat no AC.

Do I do the same?

I apologize for missing this!!! Our hot water is controlled through the thermostat on the hot water heater itself. We also have instant on hot water heaters and they too are controlled from the unit.

After changing the file to add my wifi info this is what I haveā€¦

So I let it just load even though Iā€™m thinking itā€™s not going to ā€¦ so I let it run all night and wake up to this ā€¦

SO something is clearly wrongā€¦ Can you give me any guidance here?