[SOLVED] HestiaPi Touch United States Wiring

It should take ~7 minutes on the first boot.
I made an updated loading script here:

could you update your:

/home/pi/scripts/openhabloader.sh

?
The performance you mention is something weird Chromium is causing. If you use your laptop browser or your smartphone, you will see that the RaspberryPi Zero does not lack what is needed. I can confirm from either laptop’s browser of smartphone app, the response (hearing the relay click) is less than a second.

I haven’t been able to even get into it…I’m rewriting the image as it’s not doing anything…

Sorry to say but something is wrong with this unit. After replacing the sd card and a new image twice it still only made it to the screen one time. So now what do I do? I know enough to know there’s something wrong with this one…

All I have is a blank screen and touching it gives NO response… nothing happens.

You mean you don’t see the boot messages?
Is the screen white from the moment you power it up? It should start showing the boot sequence after 5-6 seconds from the moment you power it up.
Make sure the pin headers are aligned correctly starting from its left side (PIN1) and are fully pressed.
Does the LED on the WiFi blink?
Does the LED on the Raspi blink?

OK so formatted the original SD card and copied the img to that and after letting it run all night it finally shows the screen :slight_smile:

The WiFi is blinking
the Raspi is blinking

Where can I find the IP so I can ssh into it? The controls are kinda strange they are not responsive at all. SLOW is more like it LOL

I thought it would show up on my router but it doesn’t so getting into it has been an adventure that I cannot seem to figure out…

Have you entered SSID and password in

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Is your SSID configured hidden? We have seen issues with hidden SSIDs.
Is the signal strong?
The IP is actually shown on the loader page below the countdown. Restart to see it. If it says “Unavailable” it means that it cannot connect for one of the above reasons.

I wish I could but like I said I can’t get into it…As for example right now… the screen is blank so touching it should wake it up… it’s not. It just sits there blank. so unless I unplug it and restart it again… then that corrupts the SD card and I have to start all over again… I’m really needing some worthwhile instructions here… this just isn’t working.

IF I manage to even get it running how am I supposed to add SSID and such???

Have you used this guide for the WiFi?
Apologies for being too complicated but it was described in the shop page too as it is only an early release for people who want to try it.
About restarting it. Unpluging from powe has rarely caused an SD corruption. Make sure you only use the provided SD card and image as it is optimised for this purpose. Personally I never

sudo reboot

or

sudo shutdown -h now

anymore and I haven’t experienced corruption cases. Please follow the steps of the guide and let me know if it worked.

1 Like

So in order to hack HestiaPi Touch to work with your 24V AC system, you need to modify the PCB in the following way.
Flip the PCB and work on the bottom side. It should look like this (left side):

Cut the track (thin red line below) between the 2 pads. Make sure there is enough space separating the pads at the end.
Solder RC (or R for people who only have 1 R) on the pad indicated with the red arrow:

Use a multimeter at the end to ensure the cut and the modification are secure.

1 Like

Not too complicated but it is being difficult :slight_smile: No need for apologies… we’ll get it figured out…

I looked all over for that guide and couldn’t find it!! THANK YOU!!

I apologize for not getting back but this time of year I am extremely busy…

I am not running a 24V AC system. I use just heat no AC.

Do I do the same?

I apologize for missing this!!! Our hot water is controlled through the thermostat on the hot water heater itself. We also have instant on hot water heaters and they too are controlled from the unit.

After changing the file to add my wifi info this is what I have…

So I let it just load even though I’m thinking it’s not going to … so I let it run all night and wake up to this …

SO something is clearly wrong… Can you give me any guidance here?

The SD card filesystem may got (partially) corrupted when inserted and removed from your PC :frowning:
Can you scan your network for new devices (new IP)? If you find nothing and the last screen is blank/black and unresponsive to your touch I think the only solution is to follow the instructions on the website and load a new image file on the SD and start again.
Regarding the hot water, I don’t think your system actually allows you to control when to have hot water or not so I think you could/should use the second relay of HestiaPi for something else. You can actually rename it too. That “something else” can be anything you can wire up to HestiaPi like external light, garage door or home alarm system.
What will you come up with?

1 Like

A little extra help for setting up your WiFi if you got stuck. Google “raspberry headless wifi setup” for quite a few alternative guidances.

Fantastic!!! Thank you. I have a business meeting I have to attend shortly but this will be on tonight’s agenda!!! Will let you know

Thanks!

skip the meeting… :wink:

LOL LOVE TO!!! But gotta do things that make the money … rather retire and work on this stuff…

Not sure what I’m doing wrong… I downloaded the img file again… formatted the SD card and installed the img with Win32DiskImager… all writes ok and ends as it should.

Start Paragon ExtFS and try to read the SD card… no go. NOW it tells me : “Corrupted”…

I can’t imagine having this much trouble… I have formatted and put the img on now this will be my 6th time.[and yes I have used different SD cards]… It’s just not allowing me to change any file period. Paragon will not allow me access to it and other programs as well. I’m pretty sure all the SD cards I own aren’t bad…

I even took the card to a Linux machine and again, no go. It’s either has errors or it tells me I cannot because I don’t have root access to change the file…

There has to be a way to do this…

FOUND the problem! I believe. I burned the img to a regular USB stick and I can read it with no issue… which means the SD card reader is bad… I believe it’s what’s causing all my issues… SO while I’m at lunch today I will go get a new one.

Fingers crossed! :slight_smile: