Can't SSH into RPI Zero W

Hi. First post here, but been reading for a while.

I’ve been assembling a small smart home automation with openHAB. And was trying to build my own WIFI thermostat when Hestiapi questions were posted on the openHAB forum. So I put that project away for now to try building this one.

I’ve downloaded v8, flashed the SD card and plugged it into a Pi Zero W, with an Adafruit 3.5 PiTFT. The Pi is visible on the WIFI and openHAB comes up in the browser. But I can’t seem to SSH into it. Searched around here and the web without any luck.

I’m using a Win 10 computer with PuTTY most of the time. But also have Ubuntu computer that I am not that familiar with to change the wpa settings.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Welcome to the club :slight_smile:
The Adafruit 3.5 PiTFT uses a totally different driver and touch controller circuit so it does not surprise me. I don’t have much more experience on it and not one available to check.
We use standard Raspbian OS and add modifications for the LCD used only.
My best guess would be to check their documentation and support for help. Avoid using a preconfigured image of them as this will be much harder to migrate all the HestiaPi Touch logic onto it.

“Welcome to the club”

Thank you.

I was figuring I would have to change the display configs to get the PiTFT to work with the Hestia setup.

The problem I’m having is just SSH into the Pi to make those changes. The openHAB system that’s running already is on a RPI3 and I have no trouble getting into it. Wonder if I started with openHABian and added the commands from Hestia?

But that will have to wait another day.

Oh I missed the part about the SSH issue. You said

From this I understand it connects to WiFi and you can see (ping) it from your laptop but now I believe you meant something else. Please clarify.
Did you enter your wifi details (SSID and password) as described in the Guides page? Use your Ubuntu machine for this with the instructions found here:

From this I understand it connects to WiFi and you can see (ping) it from your laptop but now I believe you meant something else. Please clarify.

Yes I can see the pi on the routers table of connected devices and can ping it from Win 10 command prompt. But for some reason I can not SSH into it. I used the guide as well as the message you linked to, to be able to get the RPI Zero W on the network.

I want to get access to the openhabian-config, then the openHAB-conf and openHAB-share files. That is the way I setup a RPI3 with openHAB to run my small home automation which I will be expanding. One of the things to add is a WIFI thermostat.

I am in North America and the standard HestiaPi won’t work on our HVAC systems. From my previous work trying to design my own WIFI thermostat, I’ve got the 24vac power supply worked out as well as the 4 relays it would need to control, Heat, Cool, Stage 2 Heat/Cool, Fan and Disable/Off. So yes a different board needs to be designed.

Any way, that’s were I at with this project. I hoped to use the HestiaPi package and modify it to suit N.A. standards. Read through a lot of posts about people doing this, but no hard facts, so I thought I’d give it a try. But got stuck at the starting gate.

Using Ubuntu I was able to access the openHAB-conf and openHAB-share files and with the web GUI the ‘Commands’ can be copied as well. So if I install openHABian on this RPI Zero W and copy these files in to it, I’m hoping to make this work. Yes there is the issue of the PiTFT, but it was working on the older project.

So you are saying you can ping HestiaPi’s IP but you cannot SSH into it?
The port is the default port 22 for SSH and the credentials are user: pi password: hestia

Please confirm.
About the HVAC… where were you when we needed you the most :slight_smile:

Worth also mentioning - if you can mount the SD card on another Linux host, you can set the credentials to anything you like. Can post more details if you need to go that way :slight_smile:

Well…

It was a rather frustrating experience, but the Zero W is up and running with HestiaPi.

Bleeping Windoze. Don’t know exactly what was doing it, but every time the sd card was re-flashed with etcher it got worse. Finally this morning, I flashed the sd card with etcher on the Ubuntu computer and every thing works as it should. D’oh!?! The openHAB page even loads on the Win computer (only after bringing it up on Ubuntu).

Next, see if the PiTFT can be made to work with this. Oh the joy of a steady hobby/job.

This project was just a twinkle in my eye, as they say, at that time. Wish I could have helped.

The US version won’t work for me. We will be using a six or seven wire control for our HVAC system. As well as one of the mains reason for trying to build our own thermostat, was to get away from something that stands out from the wall. The plan is to have the main components of the therm mounted in a 4 inch square box, recessed in the wall. Over that would be a 6 inch square board that tapers from an eighth of an inch to a quarter inch where the PiTFT display would be. The board would be mounted an eighth of an inch from the wall to allow for air flow. The sensor would be mounted to the under side of the board near the bottom, to be between the board and the wall. The heat that is generated by the Pi should create air flow over the sensor without having any radiating on it. My idea is to also have some sort of light intensity sensor that will automatically adjust the brightness of the display.

Ya OK, pretty tall order. But my Lady and I are having a reno done to our house and we want the walls to look as clean as possible. This platform, ‘Hestia’, will work great with openHAB automation that I’m planning.

If I can get this thing to work, I will post my results here for others to use.

1 Like

That sounds great and the idea that people actually use the openess of HestiaPi in that way is even more encouraging. We know HestiaPi won’t be perfect for everybody but will be hackable for anybody’s liking!
Your scenario sounds great. Just our cents… make sure the area where RasPi will run gets some sort of ventilation otherwise with time this will eventually get warm throwing off your sensor readings.