[How To] Change Wifi settings from Windows 10

Hi there!

I recently got a nice HestiaPi touch and I quickly started hacking on it for my new smart home project (which I’ll document!). But let’s get to the point!

Currently, the docs, suggest using a non-Windows laptop to perform the initial Wifi configuration. However, there are other working options that can be used on Windows as well. Let me go through a bunch of them.

1. Ext2FS for Windows - this is a nice, open-source driver that allows to read the Linux partition on the SD card as any other directory on the filesystem. However, the last commit for this project came on 2016 and there were some reports of it not working properly on some filesystems/sd card reader combinations.
  2. DiskInternals Linux Reader, is a freeware application. Windows 10 isn’t reported in the list of supported apps, but should work. I didn’t personally try this one.
  3. Paragon ExtFs for Windows is a closed-source, commercial software that allows for free usage with a write-speed limitation to 5Mb/s after 10 days. This is not too much of a big deal since we only really need to change the wpa_supplicant.conf file :wink:
  4. Another option is to use a VirtualBox virtual machine with a Linux guest (e.g. Ubuntu). VirtualBox allows for USB pass-through (if using an SD-card USB external reader) or direct access to the host OS drives (for integrated SD-card readers). This option may require some tinkering, but works as well as option 3.

Please let me know what you think and if you have other ideas or know other workarounds :wink:

Disclaimer: while I tried some of these options and they worked for me, it doesn’t mean they will work for you :slight_smile: For example, you may end-up with a corrupted linux partition on the SD-card. Please use it at your own risk!