Older Pi, HDMI, GPIO, and Ethernet questions

I’ve been trying to find a Pi zero W but it’s very hard to find in stock/ buy a Pi right now with the chip shortage. I’ve looked ,but, for example, Im not spending $50 at amazon or ebay for a $15 pi. So I was wondering if I could use one of my non wifi Pi’s laying around.

I have an original Pi (with 2 usb ports instead of 4.) Can u use this one since it has similar power draw to a Zero? How can I change the relay GPIO pins for the smaller 26 Pin vs 40 pin Connector?

Lucky my thermostat is on the other side of the wall from my network closet; so running a ethernet cable would be very easy. How / what do I need to modify and edit to get Hestia Pi top use the ethernet jack vs Wifi?

And it’s not absolutely necessary, but I also have a small 5" touchscreen I was going to use for a home assistant interface. It’s HDMI and USB. Can I Use this or am I stuck having to buy the 3.5" screen? Again what would I need to modify software wise to use this option? Im guessing just not install the display driver and install the USB driver is instead?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Welcome to the club Diemaster :slight_smile: Happy to have you onboard…
Regarding the use of another Pi board, I would suggest you try and find the same GPIO pins used and reuse these. Keep in mind, they may be moved a bit although I remember RaspberryPi tried a lot to keep compatible pinouts. Either way the pins used are defined here stored at /etc/openhab2/items/default.items on your pi once you have it running. Not having a wifi interface may cause some hiccups that I cannot provide in detail from the top of my head but here are a few general directions:

• The startup script that creates an access point in order for you to enter your WiFi details
  • The UI may have hardcoded the wlan0 interface to show IP, MAC, signal strength - these should not cause much of a problem. Just display rubbish.

The 5" touchscreen now is a different subject… We have spent quite some time and effort disabling everything GUI related and start only a minimal browser (kweb) with the HTML UI you see on the LCD and this is done via frame buffers (fb) and a custom driver. The HDMI interface is also disabled from the raspi-config script so start by enabling that first and work your way accordingly. It may be a bumpy ride :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.