The obligatory "introduce yourself" thread!

Hello!
I’m new here and am planning to work on the US HVAC version of the HestiaPi Touch.
I’m an electrical engineer who has barely any free time to spare but always find a way to spend it on electronic/computer/automotive crap. I have always liked DIY projects, especially raspberry pi ones, and hope to see this one prosper into something more well-known.

1 Like

Hi my name is Tim ,
I discovered Hestiapi through @gwmngilfen Greg on Mastodon .
I’m Extremely interested in this project as I’m about to have Gas central heating installed and this is something I would like to incorporate into my Home automation setup .

1 Like

Word of mouth marketing, you can’t beat it :slight_smile: - welcome!

1 Like

:wave: My name’s Sam, and I’m in the US (in Minnesota). We bought our first house last year and have been gradually updating it to more modern standards. I’ve started running cat-6, we’ve repaired and repainted our deck, and soon we’ll be wanting to replace the old, crusty thermostat with something smarter.

I found HestiaPi by searching for “open source smart thermostat” on google. I definitely didn’t want to buy some closed source thing that I’d be relying on large corporations for - I trust them to be neither good nor supportive. I joined because, while I’m not yet ready to set HestiaPi up (we have a four-wire cable, so I’m hoping to rewire with a five wire cable first … although it’s tempting to get one of those four-to-five wire adapters instead), I’ve got some questions to work through and whatnot.

I’m https://github.com/nelsam - typically a go programmer (also elm when I write web UIs), but generally good at distributed systems and chaos testing.

I’m also a nerd in general - miniature tabletop gaming, craft beer and cocktails, comic books, and video games are all passions of mine.

Welcome to the club @valczir !
This is the best place (erm… in a new thread) to ask all your questions and find out what HestiaPi can and cannot do :slight_smile:
George

hi Arden here

found this while Googling around
have caught the diy home auto bug

already have an existing openhab pi with mysensors
in the process of building some motorized curtains using 3d printed parts

Please elaborate :slight_smile:
Does your mechanism allow “manual” control of the curtains, aka “by hand” ?

in still playing around with the config

idea is to set limits and then define it as “dimmer” in openhab then can say set to say 50% ect

Was more curious about the mechanical aspect of it and if it can support what I described :wink:

it should be easy to add an open close button
been able to pull the curtains would cause problems due to lost position

Hi everyone,

My name is Esther and I’m from the Netherlands. Data Scientist by day, tinkerer by night. I’m diving into HestiaPi as a kick start project to overhaul my house with home automation. So far I’ve worked on projects on the wearables spectrum, so I look forward to connecting with you all over home automation!

Cheers,
Esther

I suppose I should chime in. I’m Rich and live in Colorado. I’m a long time user and supporter of openHAB (I’m @rlkoshak over on the openHAB forums). I’m a computer security engineer by trade but have had openHAB and home automation as a hobby for around five years now. I don’t think it would be too arrogant to call myself an openHAB expert, at least from the user’s side, so if there is any general openHAB question that George can’t answer I’m certain I can.

I learned about HestiaPi when it was announced on the openHAB forums which was right around the time Google announced the end of the Works with Nest API. I figured what the heck and decided to replace my Nest with this one which I can tinker with. I’ve a number of HVAC behaviors I currently implement on my main openHAB that would better be implemented on the thermostat itself (e.g. turn on the fan when the top floor is warmer than the basement in the summer).

But before I do that, I noticed that this little guy takes a really long time to boot so I thought I’d see if I could apply my openHAB expertise and see what I can do to improve that. I’ve a couple of PRs already submitted that brings it down to ten minutes from white screen to operational, at least for me, others will need to test it to verify. Next is to add in hysteresis for the heater, cooler, and humidifier/dehumidifier and then to tackle scheduling which has been mentioned on this thread. My hope is to make everything either a PR or a tutorial posted to the wiki or this forum.

1 Like