The obligatory "introduce yourself" thread!

Every new community has an introduce-yourself thread, right? :slight_smile:

My name’s Greg, and I’ve been a hacker, sysadmin, developer, tech speaker, and community manager for all my adult life. For my dayjob I’m the community lead for The Foreman - a project I’ve been involved with for nearly 7 years (jeez…). Doing that job has taught me the power of communities, and what they can achieve - I hope we can do that here too.

Around here I’m the volunteer admin that runs the Discourse site - if you have any issues or queries feel free to reach out to me. For clarity, I should say that I’m not directly affliated with the HestiaPi team - I’m just a community member who thought we should have a community space, so I made it happen :stuck_out_tongue:

You can also find me at https://twitter.com/gwmngilfen and https://emeraldreverie.org (yes, I know about the SSL warning - it’s on my TODO - EDIT: fixed!)

Looking forward to meeting you all!

My name is George and I am the core developer of HestiaPi from its creation till today.

Elec Eng by degree, software developer by job description, I am a DIYer, maker and hacker on anything I can disassemble, optimise or simply customise to my taste. If something does not function how I like, it needs to change :wink: and this is how HestiaPi was brought to life!

For most technical questions, I’m your man…

Hi all, firstly I wanted to thank you for sharing this smart thermostat project and congratulate you on how well polished it all is. We recently had a biomass boiler installed in our house and my 10 year old son and I (47 yo engineer) decided to look into smart thermostats then. We are not keen on the likes of Nest or Hive and the rest because of price but mainly because of the dependence with their servers and the potential for data collection and sharing our heating habits with 3rd parties and we like to build our own things. Because the touch version was only in its development stage and we had all the bits to hand, we went ahead and built a classic.
This taught my kid all sorts from soldering, resistors in parallel and series (we only had 20k to hand instead of 10k), programming, testing gpio with Scratch then slowly moving to python, … Our kit is on display today at his primary school for show and tell!
This is our first RPi project and we are looking forward to building the Touch soon. Just waiting for my birthday to come and hope a touchscreen is amongst the pressies.
I know the classic is probably a bit old now but would it be possible to have the original Classic files available in your download section as well as the guides you used to have on your old web site?
Keep up the good work. Absolutely loved working with my kid building it.

Hello Beara and congrats on working on these kind of projects with yout little one!

Photos or it doesn’t exist :wink:

Use the footer link: “Legacy Website”. Everything is still there.

Also the GitHub site, I suppose?

You are absolutely right. Read it in a way that I thought Beara wanted the downloadable image files only :wink:

Both are useful, indeed :slight_smile:

Thank you, I hadn’t spotted the legacy link. This is exactly what I was looking for. The instructables links where we originally got our plans stopped working when the Hestiapi web site changed.
Our job for this weekend is to make a proper enclosure and tidy up.

1 Like

Make it (partially) transparent so that kids see the internals (maybe with some labels)! The less compact the better for the kids IMHO and your setup looks really good! Keep it up and ask any help you want on that!

My Name is John and I’m from Upstate NY USA :slight_smile:

I’m very interested in this project as I’d like to create a module that will work with the MagicMirror2 project :slight_smile:

I also live in the US. I want to use this thermostat to help manage my usage under my real time power plan by Comed. I feel like this is the tool for the job and can’t wait to try it out.

My day job has me doing Linux systems engineering for a large organization. I spend my free time working with power at my house and am presently working on installing four 60+ amp car charging stations in my garage. I also build things out of composites, Aluminum, and wood. When I have free time I enjoy playing with audio/home theater. I haven’t actively worked in heating and cooling for more than 20 years but things haven’t changed that much since then.

Cool addon integration… Are you using https://openenergymonitor.org/ ?
Please start a new thread to present your idea for others to share. It doesnt have to be anything tangible yet and it doesn’t have to be 200 words :slight_smile:
I know others in this forum are into this stuff too (and I personally fancy it but too low in my todo list yet)

I will post my thoughts over the weekend. I have no home automation or monitoring presently, and don’t have anything but a smart meter that I could monitor. Most of my big stuff is Natural Gas, with the exception of the Air conditioning. As such I just power fridges, freezers, lights and computers. Lights are all LED so they aren’t very big. Fridges/freezers and computers split the rest of the usage, but they all use power when they use power, so managing the AC would be a big way to keep my average cost per kwh down.

My name is Jaap and I’m from Amsterdam, NL.
I just connected a HestiaPi touch to the central heating in our makerspace.

Since the makerspace is located in an old building without much isolation, it’s nice to be able to adjust the temperature from home before going there. I was about to design something (arduino or pi-based) myself but then I discovered the HestiaPi.

Fortunately I looked at the PCB before plugging it in, because the central heating system would not have survived 220V! I was not expecting that as the default output…
Cutting one pcb powerline and adding a wire solved the problem.

Still have to figure out all how all the OpenHAB stuff works, my wishlist for now is:

• temperature statistics (maybe with extra sensors to monitor remote corners of the space and outside temp)
  • simple and safe remote access for all makerspace users
  • calendar / scheduling, possibly linked to the existing makerspace calendar
  • interaction with the burglar alarm, as a way of knowing when there are people in the space
    I’m pretty sure most of this can already be done with the existing software, I just need to read the fine manual…

My name is Jaap and I’m from Amsterdam, NL.

Welcome! Make yourself at home, we’re a small community but a friendly one :stuck_out_tongue:

Still have to figure out all how all the OpenHAB stuff works, my wishlist for now is:

I’m not so hot on electronics, but OpenHAB I can do. Shout out if I can help!

• temperature statistics (maybe with extra sensors to monitor remote corners of the space and outside temp)

Something like this?

Screenshot from 2017-11-05 20-41-26

I can probably help there… Although I have a Hestia Classic (so my Openhab is separate) the details will be similar.

• simple and safe remote access for all makerspace users

What did you have in mind? If you have some server which is web-facing then I guess an Apache/Nginx proxy vhost with basic auth would do?

• calendar / scheduling, possibly linked to the existing makerspace calendar

I’ll let @HestiaPi handle that one :stuck_out_tongue:

• interaction with the burglar alarm, as a way of knowing when there are people in the space

Depends what the alarm speaks. OpenHAB has a huge stack of protocols and such that can be used as triggers or presence detectors, so you need to know which one(s) to look at.

calendar / scheduling, possibly linked to the existing makerspace calendar

I’ll let @HestiaPi handle that one :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I’ll leave this here …

http://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings/caldav-command1/readme.html

Welcome Jaap! :slight_smile:
We hope you like your new HestiaPi!

Well myopenhab.org may be just right for you with the minimal effort. Then again, it is an external server you don’t own.
Greg’s suggestion about caldav is your best option right now I think. If you search around OH forums you will see some workarounds (while the official native scheduling is being developed) but may require more time from you depending your familiarity.

Not sure if this is for actual security or simply informative… For the latter a simple bash script that detects ping-able devices on the WiFi network may be enough. Share your thoughts :wink:

Heya! I’m a new user from Italy and I’m currently hacking on my great HestiaPi.

My evil plan: integrate HestiaPi with open source thermostatic valves and slightly modify my HestiaPi touch to work without Wifi and be powered through PoE. Bold plan? :wink:

5 posts were split to a new topic: PoE power for Hestia?

Hi everyone. My name is Fernando and I love doing projects like this one, I program in python, java, and a few other languages. I am not willing to shell out 300 bucks for the nest since I have two HVAC units one for the lower floor and one for the top floor. It was strange to see water heating for the thermostat lol but I guess other places they do that. Here in the US the water has its own boiler that doesn’t get fiddled with at all.

Anyways It is good to be part of a great open source project! I love the hexagonal case by the way.