Manual install? I want to keep some other things running on my R Pi


Is there a way to install HestaPi manually? I have other things running on my Raspberry Pi 4 that I want to keep - including some stuff than interfaces with my weather station.

These instructions on the wiki should do the trick

Things may have change in the world of Pi since 14 Sep 2020 especially if you are on a Pi 4. Please document back here any differences you may find (although some may be due to the Pi 4 and not Zero W)

I’m also working on a raspberry pi emulation system so it’s quick and easy to reset things back to a stock image and re-run automated deployment scripts.

My goal is to have a script that will take a stock raspberry pi that is running raspbian and make it into a HestiaPi. I want it so I can then produce my own image that I can flash onto future raspberry pi units, but I think it’d also meet your needs.

I plan to start with jessie since that’s where everything lies now, and once that is done it’ll be on to buster and then bullseye.

I have my code at a stable point for building stock raspberry pi images and booting them in qemu.

Currently I have support for stretch and buster:

If anyone knows where I can find a kernel, prb, and image for Jessie, I’d be willing to add support for it.

I do have a script that I started that will do the HestiaPi setup (installing & configuring packages), but it is incomplete on account of me not having the jessie image. The script just took the commands from the wiki, so no sense in trying to use that at this point.

The buster image would be a good thing to leverage for installing on buster though.

Top link of the wiki?
(remove the _lite in two places of the url and you get both the jessie and jessie lite download)

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve added support for jessie and am now trying to get scripts together to take a normal rPi and make it i into a HestiaPi. Will let you know how it goes. :smiley:

1 Like

As you may have guessed, the install has not been going well. I’m following the steps for manual installation, but I’m running into dependency problems.

sudo apt-get install -y apt-transport-https bc dnsmasq hostapd vim python3-flask python3-requests git dirmngr accountsservice build-essential python quilt devscripts python-setuptools python3 libssl-dev cmake libc-ares-dev uuid-dev daemon zip zlibc zlib1g zlib1g-dev python-smbus unclutter matchbox-window-manager xwit xinit openbox lxterminal geoclue-2.0 libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0=2.4.9-1~deb8u1+rpi1 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0=2.4.9-1~deb8u1+rpi1

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
hostapd : Depends: libnl-route-3-200 (>= 3.2.7) but it is not going to be installed
libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 : Depends: libegl1-mesa (>= 7.8.1) but it is not going to be installed or
Depends: libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
python3-flask : Depends: python3-jinja2 but it is not going to be installed
uuid-dev : Depends: libuuid1 (= 2.25.2-6) but 2.29.2-1+deb9u1 is to be installed
vim : Depends: vim-common (= 2:7.4.488-7+deb8u4) but 2:8.0.0197-4+deb9u1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I’ll keep playing around with specifying different packages (explicitly calling out dependencies, versions, etc.) and see if I can get it sorted out. If so, I can make the changes on the wiki so the documentation is up to date. If I can get automation to build the entire image, I can contribute that to the git repo as well.