Pi zero replacement

BPI just released their M4 zero which is a replacement to the Pi zero. Might help with the current limitations.

https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-M4_Zero

1 Like

Looks like it doesn’t have a reset pin in the same spot as the rPi Zero, but if the 40-pin headers are compatible, it should be able to work with the HestiaPi PCB. You’d have to flip the breaker to turn it off, but to be fair, that’s also true with the rPi Zero 2.

If anyone wants to try getting the software running on there, I’d be happy to help by fielding any questions.

I was able to get some rPi Zero 2 boards for about $20 each recently, and the current software works on those as-is. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure out some way to get the reset pin working reliably with the Zero 2. Pogo pins turned out to be too thick, unfortunately.

1 Like

Ok going to get one on order today. The reset button has always been a convenience for me any time time I did have trouble I had to power cycle it anyway.

From a performance perspective this should work closer to an RPi 3 than the RPi 1, meaning it should boot in a reasonable amount of time. :wink:

I have an old BPI in this form factor though. It could run OH but it was lacking in RAM and heat was definitely a problem, so watch out for that. It will be interesting to find out how this one fairs.

1 Like

Agreed and I am aware of the heat issues that have been a problem in the past. I will provide an update when I get it.

@hestia_hacker can I get your build scripts. Looks like I am going to have to build a new image for this.

So far no heat problems with the M4 zero. I have problems with generic mico SD cards.

Yup, they are all at Public repos / raspberrypi-automation · GitLab

The punchline is basically “run the hestiapi.yml playbook” after you have a fully patched Debian system up and running. That file has comments intended to help people use it without having to learn ansible.

If you want to see the exact commands that build an image, they are available at .gitlab-ci.yml · trunk · Public repos / raspberrypi-automation · GitLab