[SOLVED] Wifi ssid and passw

Hi,

I have build the Hestia Pi.
Now I have a problem to edit the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.
I can not find it.
I download the hestia-pi-touch-openhab-v8.img.zip, I unziped it, and loaded it with image writer on a sd.
Removed it and re-inserted in my laptop, I now list the files on the sd but no /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to find.

On the sd is only this:
overlays - dir

bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb
bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb
bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb
bcm2708-rpi-cm.dtb
bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb
bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb
bootcode.bin
cmdline.txt
config.txt
COPYING.linux
fixup.dat
fixup_cd.dat
fixup_db.dat
fixup_x.dat
issue.txt
kernel.img
kernel7.img
LICENCE.broadcom
LICENSE.oracle
ssh
start.elf
start_cd.elf
start_db.elf
start_x.elf

PLZ. help my

Stef

Are you trying to read the SD card on a Windows laptop?
Windows will not read the Linux file system properly
Need to use something with a Linux operating system or can you connect a monitor and keyboard to the raspberry pi?

1. Once the image is written on the SD card, remove it and re-insert it in your (non-Windows) laptop and change the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf by entering you WiFi’s SSID and passkey inside the “”.

Older versions of Raspbian (the operating system HestiaPi runs) used to support Windows* but now they dont.

• you were allowed to place a copy of the wpa_supplicant.conf in the root directory you see now and it would be copied to the right place on the first boot before trying to connect to the WiFi.

Hi,

I have installed ubuntu on to a old laptop.
I can now find the file and edit it, but I can not save it, I am not the owner .

Stef

I’m a beginner at this stuff but sounds like you need to be logged in as root user I think.
Or used the command line or terminal window to access the file.
The command:
sudo nano (your path to where SD card is mounted)/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
The bit in () you will need to find yourself.
This will open the file as root user in a text editor.

Regards
Liam

Thats right @liamh. It will be easier to navigate with a graphical file manager with the mouse to the root directory of the card where you will see the “etc” folder and right click in a blank space and choose “command line”.
From there choose

sudo nano ./etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

You will be prompted for administrator’s password of your Ubuntu machine.
Once the editor is up, use only the keyboard (mouse does not move the cursor) and change your wifi details. When everything is correct press Ctrl+O and then ENTER to save. And finally Ctrl+X to close the editor.
Lastly unmount the SD card from your Ubuntu machine and insert it in HestiaPi.

Let us know if you made it!

We may add a question in the checkout form to optionally share their WiFi details so that we send the SD card preconfigured to their WiFi.
Do you think this would help?

solved,

changed ownership and edited the file

stef