Manual install? I want to keep some other things running on my R Pi

It’s been about a month, so I figured I’d give people an update on my script to automate what would otherwise be a manual install.

Since I need the screen to work, and I can’t seem to get that to happen with the image that I build (but it works fine with the official 1.2-dev image), I’ve decided to pivot a little bit and try to get things working with the Raspberry Pi Zero 2.

It is not going well. I have yet to be able to boot an emulated Pi Zero 2 in qemu. I believe that if I switch Linux distros so I can get qemu 6.1 or later, I might be able to make that happen. If so, that will speed up my ability to iterate.

I also tried running the existing script on hardware. I had to make some modifications, but all of the commands run without error up to the point where I wait for the web server to come up on port 8080. It never does. The openhab2 service is running just fine, but nothing is listening on port 8080 (per ss -ltpn and curl agrees). Nothing in the OpenHAB logs stuck out at me.

I’ll compare the services running on my functioning HestiaPi (on the 1.2-dev image) with the ones running on the Zero 2 to try to track down what should be listening on port 8080 and why it’s not.

Update as of 2022-07-24.

It’s about time for my monthly update.

Automated builds

I’ve sorted out some of the issues with my infrastructure and the build process is much more reliable now. The issues were mainly things timing out due to lack of CPU power or disk I/O, or processes getting killed due to memory pressure.

I have not made any process on the touch screen, but it occurred to me that the current 1.2-dev image works fine for everyone and it doesn’t have this calibration stuff. Maybe that’s a thread we could pull?

If all else fails, I guess the images could be used without a screen (maybe just post the IP address on the screen instead?). It’d certainly be inferior to the previous releases though. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

64-bit support (aka running on the Raspberry Pi Zero 2)

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 and I found that it can only seem to run bullseye. When I try the arm64 version of buster, it just sits at the rainbow test pattern and never boots. Flashing the bullseye image on in the exact same manner results in a bootable image. I’m going through the scripts and running each command manually to figure out what’s going to work.

The big problem right now is that when I run OpenHab2, it consumes all CPU power within a few mintues. We’re talking it takes 20 seconds to run “uptime” and load averages over 25. Basically, everything falls apart. I tried using both java 11 (openjdk) and java 8 (zulu) and both of them are acting the same. It doesn’t really make sense since this CPU is supposed to be faster, and yet, it’s a very real problem none-the-less. I only spent about 6 hours on this, so maybe something will come to me and I’ll be able to figure out what’s using all this CPU time.

I am able to use the little tiny screen as a terminal. So there’s at least some LCD screen support working. A lot of the package are now in the package manager, so that’s really nice.